Financing a Graduate Degree
Financial assistance can be a crucial part of attaining an advanced degree. Iowa State and the Graduate College are aware of this need and provide services to assist with your financial planning.
We have partnered with the Council of Graduate Schools to help you plan ahead.
Expenses you may expect to encounter at ISU are:
- The Tuition & Fees site gives current resident and nonresident tuition rates along with all mandatory fees.
- Health Insurance is offered at an affordable rate through our Student & Scholar Health Insurance Program Office. Graduate students on assistantship during fall and spring terms receive self only health insurance coverage as a benefit of employment for the term at no cost.
Ways in which Iowa State provides assistance with educational expenses include:
- Graduate Assistantships - approximately 80% of our Ph.D.
students and 35% of our master's students receive an assistantship appointment including teaching assistantships and
research assistantships (the percentages can differ greatly among disciplines).
- Workday for Graduate Assistants - in July 2019, Iowa State began using Workday, a new software system for finances, payroll and human resources. The Graduate College is committed to making sure graduate assistants are aware of what this transition means for them.
- Bridge Funding: Arrival of New Child - graduate assistants, predocs, and postdocs who are the primary cargiver of the new child may request up to six weeks of funding for the arrival of a new child.
- Employment - including on and off campus jobs
- Financial Aid - including grants and loans
- Diane Brandt Scholarship for Women - financial assistance for women in science, engineering, math, and other fields in which women have traditionally been underrepresented.
- Federally-sponsored opportunities - opportunities for graduate students in STEM fields
- Funding for Short-Term Incapacitation - graduate assistants and postdoctoral scholars can request funding in the event of a short-term illness or injury.