At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Online Master of Science (M.S.)
- Predictive Plant Phenomics (Ph.D.)
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of scholarly literature in the area of study, i.e., plant breeding.
- Form testable hypotheses and articulate research objectives that, when met, will lead to significant contributions to the field of study.
- Conduct original research via appropriate data acquisition, analysis, and reporting of data.
- Interpret research results appropriately, integrating them into the existing knowledge in the discipline.
- Clearly and accurately communicate research findings orally and in writing, and appropriate use of display items (tables, figures, and other appropriate types of presentation), electronic or other forms of media.
- Conduct scholarship, in teams or with independence, in ways that consistently demonstrate ethical practice and professionalism.
Contact: Brenda Kutz (distance students) & Kevin Desjean (campus based students)
Plant Breeding Graduate Programs
Iowa State University
2101 Agronomy Hall
716 Farm House Lane
Ames, IA 50011-1051
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Potential campus based students (not distance) must have a faculty commitment to serve as major professor and provide assistantship. Potential students should locate faculty whose work aligns with their educational and career goals and contact them directly BEFORE completing the application to inquire about open graduate positions and funding. Only applicants who are in contact with faculty and receive a faculty commitment will be admitted into the program. Click here for FAQ.
- Resume and publications list should be submitted as PDFs in the online application system
- Publications list, if applicable, should be submitted as a PDF in the online application system
- DISTANCE PLANT BREEDING PROGRAM DOES NOT REQUIRE GREs.
- Program Requires GRE: Yes
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 550 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 79 IELTS 6.5 PTE 53 Duolingo (approved through spring 2025) 105
- Continual review for distance Plant Breeding program.
Continual review for campus based Plant Breeding program, no deadlines for admission or assistantships. Faculty commitment required prior to admission in campus based program.
This program is open to domestic and international students.