The Chemistry program at Iowa State University has a pre-application process. Apply ONLY to Chemistry initially using the departmental online application found on our webpage at www.chem.iastate.edu or above under the Apply Now button. We review your file in house and if you receive an offer of admission and accept, we will pay your application fee to the University.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Biomolecular Science (Ph.D.)
- Chemical Education (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Chemical Instrumentation (Ph.D.)
- Forensic Chemistry (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Industrial Chemistry (Ph.D.)
- Materials Chemistry (Ph.D.)
- 1. Have an understanding of the literature in your discipline
- 2. Identify problems relevant to the sub-field of chemistry
- 3. Learn to gather, organize, analyze, and report data
- 4. Develop the skills to test hypotheses and solve research problems
- 5. Communicate research effectively, in both written and oral forms
Contact: Graduate Student Services
Chemistry Graduate Admissions
1605 Gilman Hall
2415 Osborn Drive
Ames, IA 50011-1021
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Departmental on-line application
- TOEFL scores are REQUIRED for international applicants.
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 573 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 89 IELTS 6.5 PTE 60 Duolingo (approved through spring 2025) 105
- International deadline: January 15.
Domestic deadline: February 1
We do not offer spring admission.
This program is open to domestic and international students.