Our programs are based on a strong mentoring model in which incoming graduate students are linked with their chosen graduate faculty mentor at the time of admission. Our programs are intentionally small to promote close working relationships between faculty and students. Given the diversity of faculty expertise, graduate students may choose from several areas of emphasis: biomechanics, exercise physiology (including metabolic, cardiovascular, and immunology), exercise psychology, motor control, pedagogy, and physical activity/health promotion (including epidemiology). Our laboratories are well equipped to support faculty and student research across these areas of specialization.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Exercise Physiology (including metabolic, cardiovascular, and immunology)
- Motor Control
- Physical Activity & Health Promotion (including epidemiology)
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of scholarly literature in the area of study.
- Form testable hypotheses and articulate research objectives that, when met, will lead to significant contributions to the field of study.
- Conduct qualitative and/or quantitative research via appropriate acquisition, analysis, and reporting of data.
- Interpret research results appropriately, integrating them into the existing knowledge in the discipline.
- Clearly and accurately communicate research findings orally and in writing, and often through the use of images (tables, figures, and other forms of imagery) and electronic or other forms of media.
- Articulate how the graduate program, including coursework and creative scholarship, fits into life and career goals.
- Conduct scholarship, in teams or with independence, in ways that consistently demonstrate ethical practice and professionalism.
Contact: Dr. Jason Gillette
Department of Kinesiology, 203 Forker Building
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-4008
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Graduate Program Information Sheet
- Application for Graduate Assistantship
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: Yes
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 560 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 83 IELTS 6.5 PTE 56 Duolingo (approved through spring 2025) 105
- February 1 for fall admission
This program is open to domestic and international students.