Family and Consumer Sciences
At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
- Master of Family & Consumer Sciences (M.F.S.)
- Online Master of Family & Consumer Sciences (M.F.S.)
- Dietetics (M.F.S.)
- Family Financial Planning (M.F.S.)
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education (M.F.S.)
- Gerontology (M.F.S.)
- Human Development and Family Studies (M.F.S.)
- Youth Development (M.F.S.)
- Family Financial Planning Goal #1: Construction of a professional, comprehensive financial plan
- Family Financial Planning Goal #2: Implementation of ethical standards in financial planning as prescribed by the CFP Board of Standards.
- Family Financial Planning Goal #3: Demonstration of listening and counseling skills needed to help families with financial management.
- Youth Development Goal #1: Articulate the rationale and efficacy of the Positive Youth Development (PYD) approach.
- Youth Development Goal #2: Articulate developmental processes and the influences of context on youth.
- Youth Development Goal #3: Apply research, theory, and evidence-informed practice for effective youth programming.
- Youth Development Goal #4: Promote inclusivity in youth practice.
- Youth Development Goal #5: Develop, manage, evaluate, and sustain PYD programs.
Contact: Katie Mott
Family and Consumer Sciences-GPIDEA
901 Stange Rd
Ames, IA 50011
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Transcript(s), resume, goal statement, and two letters of recommendation
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 550 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 79 IELTS 6.5 PTE 53 Duolingo (approved through spring 2025) 105
- Applications for our FCS programs are accepted year-round. Recommended deadlines: February 15 for summer or fall admission and September 15 for spring admission.
This program is open to domestic and international students.