Community and Regional Planning
At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
- Master of Community of Regional Planning (M.C.R.P)
- Graduates of the program will apply knowledge of the purpose and history of planning to analyze contemporary planning issues and scholarship.
- Graduates of the program will utilize planning theory, ethics, and the ideas of equity and social justice to make sound ethical judgments and develop more effective planning processes.
- Graduates of the program will demonstrate a working knowledge of planning law and local government institutions regarding how plans and policies are developed and implemented.
- Graduates of the program will be able to evaluate a planning process; critically analyze how social, cultural, and economic forces influence land use changes; be able to create alternative scenarios for the future; and have experience applying these ideas through active learning and real life experiences.
- Graduates of the program will have a working knowledge of both qualitative and quantitative methods and demonstrate their ability to apply these methods to planning problems.
- Graduates of the program will engage communities, identify a range of tools that can be applied to different situations, and demonstrate their ability to expand participation, ensure inclusion, and give voice to diverse stakeholders.
- Graduates of the program will demonstrate professional written, oral and visual communication skills utilizing multiple forms of media within a variety of educational and community settings.
- Graduates of the program will demonstrate their knowledge and ability to create sustainable and resilient communities within a changing world.
- Graduates of the program will demonstrate their ability to make strategic decisions, evaluate projects, and analyze policies.
- Graduates of the program will conduct, in teams or independently, research that analyzes and evaluates a planning issue and proposes new ideas or potential solutions.
Contact: Jennifer Anderson
Director of Recruitment
Iowa State University
289 College of Design
Ames, IA 50011-3094
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Three letters of recommendation are required to be submitted electronically with your on-line application.
- OPTIONAL-supporting information will be accepted by email in .PDF format. Submit with your full name as listed on your application.
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 550 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 79 IELTS 6.5 PTE 53 Duolingo (approved through spring 2023) 105
- Deadline for priority consideration is Feb. 1; we will continue reviewing until program is full.
This program is open to domestic and international students.