The Chemistry program at Iowa State University has a pre-application process. Apply ONLY to Chemistry initially using the departmental online application found on our webpage at www.chem.iastate.edu. We review your file in-house and if you receive an offer of admission and accept, we will pay your application fee to the University.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Biomolecular Science (Ph.D.)
- Chemical Education (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Chemical Instrumentation (Ph.D.)
- Forensic Chemistry (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Industrial Chemistry (Ph.D.)
- Materials Chemistry (Ph.D.)
- 1. Have an understanding of the literature in your discipline
- 2. Identify problems relevant to the sub-field of chemistry
- 3. Learn to gather, organize, analyze, and report data
- 4. Develop the skills to test hypotheses and solve research problems
- 5. Communicate research effectively, in both written and oral forms
Contact: Graduate Student Services
Chemistry Graduate Admissions
1605 Gilman Hall
2415 Osborn Drive
Ames, IA 50011-1021
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Departmental on-line application
- English proficiency scores are REQUIRED for international applicants.
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 573 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 89 IELTS 6.5 PTE 60 Duolingo (approved through spring 2023) 105
- International deadline: January 15.
Domestic deadline: February 1
We do not offer spring admission.
This program is open to domestic and international students.