At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Cell Biology
- Computational Biology
- Gene Regulation
- Metabolic Biochemistry
- Molecular Biology
- Nutritional Biochemistry
- Plant Biochemistry
- Signal Transduction
- Structural Biology
- The Master's and Ph.D. degrees with thesis are designed to train students in the ability to independently conceive and carry out original research in an area of interest. Advanced degree graduates become qualified to pursue or to continue basic and applied research careers in academia, government, and industry
- Demonstrate understanding and thorough knowledge of the literature relevant to the area of study
- Define research objectives of significance and develop testable hypotheses related to those objectives
- Conduct research by appropriate means to test hypotheses
- Analyze research results appropriately, integrating them into the existing knowledge of the discipline
- Clearly and accurately communicate information (as for instance, in the publication of research findings or in classroom teaching)
- Understand how skills acquired by activities related to coursework, research, teaching, and scholarship facilitate the initial step toward a variety of lifetime career goals
Contact: Allison Ringholz
Roy J. Carver Department of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Molecular Biology
1210 Molecular Biology Building
2437 Pammel Drive
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-1079
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- DO NOT APPLY ONLINE TO ISU ADMISSIONS! See BBMB website for instructions on how to apply directly to BBMB graduate program without having to pay an application fee.
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 550 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 79 IELTS 6.5 PTE 53 Duolingo (approved through spring 2023) 105
- January 7 for full consideration for PhD rotation program that begins in the fall of that year. No deadline for direct admission in fall, spring or summer to a faculty research group for Master's or PhD.
This program is open to domestic and international students.