Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Predictive Plant Phenomics (Ph.D.)
- Structural Bioinformatics
- Comparative Genomics
- Machine Learning
- Image Processing
- Biological Data Mining
- Be able to formulate a research question, devise a plan to answer it, and independently implement it, as evidenced by passing their preliminary exam and the dissertation defense.
- Have a minimum of one paper submitted to a peer-reviewed journal. The manuscript should be directly related to their dissertation project, and they should have contributed a substantial part of the work and authorship. However, the expectation is that a typical dissertation consists of 2-4 independently publishable manuscripts.
- Be able to communicate science clearly as evidenced by oral presentations, poster presentations, and the writing of articles, grant proposals, or both.
- Be able to program: develop and encode methods for data discovery and/or analysis (as opposed to the exclusive deployment of existing software and tools for computational analyses).
- Be experts in both the biological and computational components of their fields of study.
- Meeting these expectations is built into BCB course requirements and POS committee expectations. The major professor, or the major professor and co-major professor jointly, must be competent to oversee the interdisciplinary research required of students. Care should be taken that each student supervised in the program shall be able to receive unhindered guidance in both fields, to best serve the program’s requirements.
Contact: Carla Harris
Phone: please e-mail
Phone: please e-mail
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- GRE's are optional. Statement detailing past research experience and present research interests at Iowa State. We would appreciate it if your supplemental materials (resume, research experience, research interests) were submitted as a pdf into the on-line application system.
- CV should also include relevant preparatory coursework for a BCB program...see www.bcb.iastate.edu
- For more information and requirements for the Predictive Plant Phenomics (P3) specialization can be found here.
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 610 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 79 IELTS 7.5 PTE 53 Duolingo (approved through spring 2025) 105
- For guaranteed Fall consideration, please submit your application no later than December 1st . We will continue reviewing applications until all openings are filled. For Spring admission check with program for funding availability.
This program is open to domestic and international students.