At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
Doctoral Degrees Offered: None
Master Degrees Offered: Master of Archiecture (M.Arch.), Master of Science (M.S.)
Online Degrees: None
Learning Goals that students in this program are expected to meet include:
- Comprehensive design skills in the field of architecture based on ethical responsibilities to clients, the wider society, and the physical environment.
- Understanding of diverse cultural and social contexts and translation of this knowledge into design of built environments that support and include people of various backgrounds, resources, and abilities.
- Understanding of the role of the built environment in human health, safety, and welfare at multiple scales, and application of this knowledge in architectural design.
- Ecological knowledge and responsibility in respect of the agency and impact of design in conditions of climate crisis.
- Knowledge of the established and emerging systems, technologies, and assemblies of building construction, and the criteria architects use to assess those technologies against the design and performance objectives of projects.
- Develop research questions and respond to them with appropriate methods.
- Knowledge of the histories and theories of architecture, landscape and urbanism, and how these are related to social, cultural, economic, environmental and political contexts.
- Ability to make design decisions within an architectural project while demonstrating broad integration and consideration of building envelope systems and assemblies, structural systems, environmental control systems and life safety systems.
- Familiarity with the regulatory contexts and codes relevant to architectural practice in the United States.
- The path to becoming a licensed architect in the United States, the range of career opportunities available, and how the graduate program prepares for professional practice.
People who viewed this program also viewed:
ISU-wide: Academic Records, GPA, Statement of Purpose, Letters of Recommendation
Application Deadlines: For priority admission and graduate assistantship consideration, please apply by January 4. Applications received after that date will be reviewed as program resources permit.
Program Requires GRE: No
Program Requires GMAT : No
|Supplemental departmental application form|
|M.S. Applicants: Research Proposal - Your proposal must be discussed with a member of the Department of Architecture faculty prior to application. The Admissions committee will take into account that faculty member’s recommendation in their decision regarding admission.|
Additional International Requirements:
English Proficiency Minimum:
|TOEFL Paper (PBT)||550|
|TOEFL Internet (iBT)||79|
|Duolingo (approved through spring 2023)||105|
Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
Financial Statement: Application
Mailing Address if needed:
Iowa State University
715 Bissell Road
289 College of Design
Ames, IA 50011-3094