At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
- Master of Archiecture (M.Arch.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Comprehensive design skills in the field of architecture based on ethical responsibilities to clients, the wider society, and the physical environment.
- Understanding of diverse cultural and social contexts and translation of this knowledge into design of built environments that support and include people of various backgrounds, resources, and abilities.
- Understanding of the role of the built environment in human health, safety, and welfare at multiple scales, and application of this knowledge in architectural design.
- Ecological knowledge and responsibility in respect of the agency and impact of design in conditions of climate crisis.
- Knowledge of the established and emerging systems, technologies, and assemblies of building construction, and the criteria architects use to assess those technologies against the design and performance objectives of projects.
- Develop research questions and respond to them with appropriate methods.
- Knowledge of the histories and theories of architecture, landscape and urbanism, and how these are related to social, cultural, economic, environmental and political contexts.
- Ability to make design decisions within an architectural project while demonstrating broad integration and consideration of building envelope systems and assemblies, structural systems, environmental control systems and life safety systems.
- Familiarity with the regulatory contexts and codes relevant to architectural practice in the United States.
- The path to becoming a licensed architect in the United States, the range of career opportunities available, and how the graduate program prepares for professional practice.
Contact: Jennifer Anderson
Iowa State University
715 Bissell Road
289 College of Design
Ames, IA 50011-3094
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Digital portfolio
- Supplemental departmental application form
- M.S. Applicants: Research Proposal - Your proposal must be discussed with a member of the Department of Architecture faculty prior to application. The Admissions committee will take into account that faculty member’s recommendation in their decision regarding admission.
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 550 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 79 IELTS 6.5 PTE 53 Duolingo (approved through spring 2023) 105
- For priority admission and graduate assistantship consideration, please apply by January 4. Applications received after that date will be reviewed as program resources permit.
This program is open to domestic and international students.