At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Learning Goals: Master of Science in Statistics
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of fundamental statistical methods and the theoretical results on which those methods are based.
- Apply knowledge of statistical methods, computing, and theory in the analysis of data.
- Conduct supervised investigation into one or more topics in statistics that are extensions of or not covered in the required curriculum for the MS degree.
- Present the results of investigation into statistical topics in a clear and understandable manner, both written and orally.
- Learning Goals: Doctor of Philosophy in Statistics
- Demonstrate comprehensive understanding of advanced statistical methods and theory, including probability, mathematical statistics, and the construction of probability-based models for complex data structures
- Demonstrate the ability to formulate statistical questions on the basis of objectives in substantive scientific investigations, and the ability to compute the quantities needed to bring statistical theory and methods to bear on those questions.
- Conduct original research into one or more specific areas of statistical science that is of sufficient depth to merit publication in a statistical or scientific journal
- Demonstrate understanding of the scholarly literature in the area of dissertation research.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate research results to scientists and other researchers in both written and oral formats.
Contact: Dr. Jarad Niemi
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: If you have graduated or will graduate (Bachelor's degree or higher) from a university in the US or another country where English is the only official language, you do NOT need to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. Your diploma will serve as a waiver if you are admitted.
- Any supplemental documents (CV/resume, Statement of Purpose over 500 words, etc.) may be uploaded as a PDF via the online application system. We do not require a CV but it can be very helpful for the admissions committee. If your Statement of Purpose is longer than 500 words, you may upload a PDF to your application and type "please see uploaded SOP" in the field on the application. The committee would still appreciate it if you can keep it concise.
- Please do NOT mail paper copies of your transcripts, exam scores, or anything else to the Statistics department. Order exams electronically from ETS to be sent to Admissions. ISU's ETS code is 6306. You should upload relevant scanned documents to your application.
- Please contact the department directly if you have questions about spring or summer term admission, which is not generally possible except in very specific circumstances.
- distance MS program has been discontinued as of Fall 2016. We will not be admitting any more students to the online MS program_
- Program Requires GRE: Yes
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 570 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 88 IELTS 6.5 PTE 59 Duolingo (approved through spring 2023) 105
- MS & PhD: January 15 for fall term, for priority consideration for assistantships.
Spring admission is rare and on a case-by-case basis. You should contact our DOGE if you are interested in joining the program in the spring term.
This program is open to domestic and international students.