At ISU we are dedicated to your success as a graduate student. As a first step, we have collected information on application requirements as well as links where you can find further information. We encourage you to explore.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Science (M.S.)
- Soil Chemistry (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Soil Fertility (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Soil Management (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Soil Microbiology and Biochemistry (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Soil Morphology and Genesis (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Soil Physics (M.S., Ph.D.)
- Demonstrate fundamental knowledge of soil components and soil processes.
- Identify critical issues in fundamental and applied soil science and to formulate scientific approaches to those issues.
- Ability to apply knowledge of soil science to solve problems in nonacademic contexts and in collaboration with professionals in other disciplines.
- Demonstrate professional communication skills, using effective strategies both when writing technical reports, research proposals, journal articles, or popular press articles and when giving oral or poster presentations to scientific or lay audiences.
- Demonstrate an appreciation of the soil as a fundamental natural resource, deserving of wise use and protection.
- Demonstrate an understanding of ethical issues that pertain to soil science and science in general.
- Maintain, in collaboration with the faculty, an environment of discovery, professional pride, collaboration, and mutual support.
Contact: Kevin Desjean
Soil Science Graduate Programs
Iowa State University
2101 Agronomy Hall
716 Farm House Lane
Ames, IA 50011-1051
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Potential students must have a faculty commitment to serve as major professor and provide assistantship. Potential students should locate faculty whose work aligns with their educational and career goals and contact them directly BEFORE completing the application to inquire about open graduate positions and funding. Only applicants who are in contact with faculty and receive a faculty commitment will be admitted into the program. Click here for FAQ.
- Publications List if applicable should be submitted as PDF in the online application system
- Resume and publication list should be submitted as PDFs in the online application system
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 550 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 79 IELTS 6.5 PTE 53 Duolingo (approved through spring 2025) 105
- Continual review, no deadlines for admission or assistantships. Faculty commitment required prior to admission.
This program is open to domestic and international students.