If you want to add improved critical thinking, analytical decision making, and communication skills to your arsenal of accounting expertise, our master of accounting (MACC) program is for you. Designed to meet the needs of accountants in public and private industries, our comprehensive program will prepare you to take the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam or the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) exam. Whichever direction you want to go, we’ve got you covered. The Ivy College of Business at Iowa State University launched the Master of Accounting in 2000. The MAcc is designed to meet the needs of accountants in public or private accounting focusing on interpreting and analyzing accounting information for decision-making. This program allows undergraduate accounting majors to complete an advanced degree while pursuing the additional hours needed to meet the 150 hour requirement in most states to become a Certified Public Accountant. Graduates comply with the Iowa Standards for Certification upon passing the Uniform Certified Public Accounting Examination. The MAcc faculty are respected nationally and have been making a difference as editors and co-editors of the top journals in their area of expertise. The accounting faculty host annual training conferences for continuing education credits and provide external consulting. These external experiences provide a link for our students from the classroom to real-world practice. We are absolutely committed to providing you with a rewarding and valuable educational experience.
- Master of Accounting (M.Acct.)
- Financial Reporting & Assurance (M.Acct.)
- Information Systems and Analytics (M.Acct.)
- Managerial Decision Making (M.Acct.)
- Tax (M.Acct.)
- Ability to think critically and creatively about accounting problems
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to work with others as a member of a team
- Awareness and sensitivity for dealing with ethical concerns
How long does it take to earn a degree?
- Median time to earn the master’s: 0.9 year (Methods)
Contact: Sam Sivaskandan
Iowa State University
Dr Charles B Handy Graduate Programs Office
1420 Gerdin Business Building
2167 Union Drive
Ames, IA 50011-2027
Graduate College Requirements:Program Specific Requirements:
- 4 year Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent)
- Academic Records/Transcripts
- Minimum 3.0 GPA (Program may alter requirement.)
- Proof of English Proficiency.
- Three essays (may be uploaded with online application)
- Concurrent applicants follow directions on web page
- Duolingo is temporally being accepted instead of TOEFL/IELTS
- Program Requires GRE: No
- Program Requires GMAT: No
- Program Will Review Without TOEFL or IELTS: No
- Financial Statement: Application
- English Proficiency Minimum:
TOEFL Paper (PBT) 600 TOEFL Internet (iBT) 100 IELTS 7.5 PTE 68 Duolingo (approved through spring 2025) 120
- Fall term - June 15, Spring term - Nov 15, Summer term - March 15. International students should apply at least three months before the start of term they are applying.
This program is open to domestic and international students.