Organizing Your Dissertation / Thesis
Some of the most common dissertation/thesis mistakes are made on the title page. Follow the bullets below, paying close attention to capitalization, spacing, line breaks, actual date of graduation, and copyright statement. These bullets will guide you through the title page.
- No page number is displayed on the title page. It is always assumed page 'i'.
- Title should begin about 1.25 inches from the top of page.
- Capitalize only the first word of the title unless it is a proper noun and acronym, as well as the first word following a colon.
- The word "by" is not capitalized. Should read 'by' not 'By'.
- BOLD your name.
- In the line following your name, use "A 'dissertation' or 'thesis' submitted to the graduate faculty…" depending upon whether you are completing a Master’s or Ph.D. degree.
- No minor should be displayed. Should read 'Major: (specialization)'. If no specialization, eliminate (specialization)'.
- Do not use Dr., Esq., Ph.D., AIA, or other titles or affiliations before or after your name or faculty names.
- Format for the committee should read, ‘Faculty name, 'Major Professor' or 'Co-Major Professor'. If Co-Major Professor, then no Major Professor.
- Single space the committee members' names.
- Spell out 'Iowa'
- Copyright statement - List the year of actual graduation. Your name should be listed exactly as the top portion of the Title Page, not bold. This line ends with a period.
- Space title page according to the online examples. Information on the title page should be evenly spaced over the entire page.
Title Page Examples
- Title page - Spacing
- Master of Science Title Page
- Master of Science with Co-Majors
- Master of Science with a P.O.S. Specialization *
- Master of Science with 2 P.O.S. Specializations *
- Master of Science with 2 Majors and 3 P.O.S. Specializations *
- Double Degree Title Page
- Ph.D. Title Page
- Ph.D. with Co-Majors
- Ph.D. with a P.O.S. Specialization *
- Ph.D. with 2 P.O.S. Specializations *
- Ph.D. with 2 Majors and 3 P.O.S. Specializations *
* Only Official specializations that are listed on transcripts