Organizing Your Dissertation / Thesis
Tables, Figures, and Schema
- Include tables, figures, and schema in the text below their first reference in the text or they can be
grouped at the end of each chapter. Use a consistent style throughout.
- Table, figure, and schema margins should be the same as the manuscript’s pages.
- Locate table captions at the top of the table.
- Locate figure captions at the bottom of the figure.
- Locate schema captions at the top or bottom consistently.
- Wrap captions longer than one line under the caption’s text. Long captions can be single spaced.
- Table/figure/schema too large to fit on one page: use “Table X continued' at the top of the table on each
subsequent page. “Figure X continued” under the figure on each subsequent page.
- Turn landscape tables, figures, and schema so the top of the table/figure is located to the left.
- Page numbers on landscape pages should not turn with the table/figure. Locate on the 8.5' end of the page
in the same position and orientation as the other page numbers.
Tables, Figures, and Schema Examples