Organizing Your Dissertation / Thesis
Videos about formatting your dissertation/thesis can be found here.
Iowa State University requires all Dissertations and Theses to be electronically submitted. All students whose programs of study require a Dissertation or Thesis must comply with Iowa State dissertation/thesis requirements in order to graduate.
- Click on each major heading to access detailed checklists and examples for formatting that section.
- After reviewing all formatting for your dissertation/thesis, click on the SUBMIT button below to continue in the process for submitting your dissertation/thesis electronically.
|Sequence of pages
|Required or Optional||Page Numbering|
|Title Page||Required||no page number (implied i)|
|Dedication||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (ii)|
|Table of Contents||Required||lower case Roman numeral (ii, iii,...)|
|List of Figures**||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (iii, iv,...)|
|List of Tables*||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (iii, iv,...)|
|List of Nomenclature or other lists needed||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (iii, iv,...)|
|Acknowledgements||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (iii, iv,...) if in preliminary pages|
|Abstract||Optional in dissertation/thesis, but required when submitting dissertation/thesis to ProQuest||lower case Roman numeral (iv, v, iv...)|
|Body of Manuscript - Non-journal Format||Required||Arabic (Chapter 1 always starts with page 1)|
|Body of Manuscript - Journal Paper Format||Optional||Arabic (10, 11, 12)|
|Tables and Figures||Optional||Arabic (10, 11, 12)|
|Bibliography or References||Required||Arabic (100, 101, 102...) If included at the end of each chapter, an all inclusive list is not needed.|
|Appendix(ices)||Optional||Arabic (70,71,72...) Very large appendices may be placed after the bibliography or included to ProQuest as supplemental files.|
|Notes||Optional||Arabic (80, 81, 82...)|
|Vita||Optional||Arabic (110, 111, 112...)|
|Acknowledgements||Optional||Arabic (120, 121, 122...) if placed at the end of dissertation/thesis|
* If you have a List of Tables, you must also have a List of Figures if you use figures in your dissertation/thesis.
** If you have a List of Figures, you must also have a List of Tables if you use tables in your dissertation/thesis.
|Font size||Generally 12 pt.||10 pt. can be used for table/figure captions; Up to 16 pt. can be used for major headings.|
|Font type||Font needs to be embedded in the PDF format.||Arial, Times New Roman, Calibri, Cambria, or a similar proportional font|
|Margins:||Left bound manuscript||1.5' left; 1' top; 1' right; 1' bottom|
|Margins:||Unbound manuscript||1' left; 1' top; 1' right; 1' bottom|
|Page numbers||1/2' from the top center|
|Paragraphs||Indented||Consistent throughout paper.|
|Major headings (Listed above)||ALL CAPS, centered, double spaced||No larger than 16 pt. font, used consistently.|
|First level heading||Initial caps (each word), centered|
|Second level heading||First word capitalized, left margin|
|Remaining headings||Your choice, they just need to be different from the headers listed above and must be consistent throughout paper|
|Table captions||Above tables||10 or 12 pt., Single spaced|
|Figure captions||Below figures||10 or 12 pt., Single spaced|
It is important that you have met all the formatting requirements so that your dissertation/thesis can be promptly approved for your graduation.
Use the 'Submit Your Dissertation/Thesis' link below to go to the next step. By using to the link below, you verify that you have checked all the formatting guidelines listed in the Dissertation/Thesis Checklist or in all the links in Organizing Your Dissertation/Thesis.
- After clicking the submit button below, you will be taken to the website for uploading your dissertation/thesis to ProQuest.
- Once your dissertation/thesis has been uploaded, be sure to check the e-mail address you entered on a frequent basis.
- You will receive a request to make changes or an acceptance e-mail.
- If any changes are needed, they should be made within 24 hours if at all possible.
- You will need to receive an acceptance e-mail before you will be allowed to graduate.