Organizing Your Thesis
Videos about formatting your thesis can be found here.
Iowa State University requires all Theses and Dissertations to be electronically submitted. All students whose programs of study require a Thesis or Dissertation must comply with Iowa State thesis requirements in order to graduate.
- Click on each major heading to access detailed checklists and examples for formatting that section.
- After reviewing all formatting for your thesis, click on the SUBMIT button below to continue in the process for submitting your thesis/dissertation electronically.
|Sequence of pages
|Required or Optional||Page Numbering|
|Title Page||Required||no page number (implied i)|
|Dedication||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (ii)|
|Table of Contents||Required||lower case Roman numeral (ii, iii,...)|
|List of Figures**||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (iii, iv,...)|
|List of Tables*||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (iii, iv,...)|
|List of Nomenclature or other lists needed||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (iii, iv,...)|
|Acknowledgements||Optional||lower case Roman numeral (iii, iv,...) if in preliminary pages|
|Abstract||Optional in thesis, but required when submitting thesis to ProQuest||lower case Roman numeral (iv, v, iv...)|
|Body of Manuscript - Non-journal Format||Required||Arabic (Chapter 1 always starts with page 1)|
|Body of Manuscript - Journal Paper Format||Optional||Arabic (10, 11, 12)|
|Tables and Figures||Optional||Arabic (10, 11, 12)|
|Bibliography or References||Required||Arabic (100, 101, 102...) If included at the end of each chapter, an all inclusive list is not needed.|
|Appendix(ices)||Optional||Arabic (70,71,72...) Very large appendices may be placed after the bibliography or included to ProQuest as supplemental files.|
|Notes||Optional||Arabic (80, 81, 82...)|
|Vita||Optional||Arabic (110, 111, 112...)|
|Acknowledgements||Optional||Arabic (120, 121, 122...) if placed at the end of thesis|
* If you have a List of Tables, you must also have a List of Figures if you use figures in your thesis.
** If you have a List of Figures, you must also have a List of Tables if you use tables in your thesis.
|Font size||Generally 12 pt.||10 pt. can be used for table/figure captions; Up to 16 pt. can be used for major headings.|
|Font type||Font needs to be embedded in the PDF format.||Arial, Times New Roman, Calibri, Cambria, or a similar proportional font|
|Margins:||Left bound manuscript||1.5' left; 1' top; 1' right; 1' bottom|
|Margins:||Unbound manuscript||1' left; 1' top; 1' right; 1' bottom|
|Page numbers||1/2' from the top center|
|Paragraphs||Indented||Consistent throughout paper.|
|Major headings (Listed above)||ALL CAPS, centered, double spaced||No larger than 16 pt. font, used consistently.|
|First level heading||Initial caps (each word), centered|
|Second level heading||First word capitalized, left margin|
|Remaining headings||Your choice, they just need to be different from the headers listed above and must be consistent throughout paper|
|Table captions||Above tables||10 or 12 pt., Single spaced|
|Figure captions||Below figures||10 or 12 pt., Single spaced|
It is important that you have met all the formatting requirements so that your thesis can be promptly approved for your graduation.
Use the 'Submit Your Thesis' link below to go to the next step. By using to the link below, you verify that you have checked all the formatting guidelines listed in the Thesis Checklist or in all the links in Organizing Your Thesis.
- After clicking the submit button below, you will be taken to the website for uploading your thesis to ProQuest.
- Once your thesis has been uploaded, be sure to check the e-mail address you entered on a frequent basis.
- You will receive a request to make changes or an acceptance e-mail.
- If any changes are needed, they should be made within 24 hours if at all possible.
- You will need to receive an acceptance e-mail before you will be allowed to graduate.