Please refer to the Graduate College Deadlines for term-specific dates. Students are encouraged to complete the steps below as early in the semester as possible, and students are responsible to adhere to the published deadlines to graduate in the term desired. Failure to meet all deadlines will result in postponing graduation to a later term.
Committee Appointment and Program of Study (POS) forms
- As of May 23, 2014, the Graduate College is no longer accepting paper copies for new requests for Committee or Programs of Study (POS). In mid to late August, an online process will be available for you to submit your requests for committee and POS. More information about the process will be distributed later this summer.
- If needed, you can go ahead and work with your committee this summer and develop your program of study, but it will not be officially approved until August when you submit the information online.
- Apply for graduation through Access Plus.
- A non-refundable, one-time-only Thesis/Dissertation fee of $145 will be billed by the Graduate College at the time of application.
- A non-refundable Graduation fee of $75 will be billed unless the student withdraws the Application for Graduation before the cancellation deadline.
- Students who will not meet the graduation requirements for a given term are responsible to withdraw their application through Access Plus by the cancellation deadline to avoid being charged the Graduation fee.
- Students must register for the minimum tuition fee (tuition equivalent of 2 credits) or GR ST 600 “Examination Only” credit as an Iowa State University graduate student in the term in which the final oral examination is taken.
- If the final oral examination is taken between terms (including the first day of classes for the later term), registration can be for either the term before or the term after the examination date.
- International students holding F-1 or J-1 visas may have additional registration requirements and should contact the International Students and Scholars office as early as possible.
- Submit form, signed by all committee members, to the Graduate College a minimum of three weeks before the requested exam date, or by the cancellation deadline, whichever is earlier.
- Students who do not submit this form by the deadline will have their graduation withdrawn by the Graduate College. The student will still be responsible for the graduation fee.
- The final oral examination must be held no later than three weeks before the end of the term of graduation. See deadlines for more information.
Report of Final Oral Examination
- This form is sent to the department/program through campus mail once the Request for Final Oral Examination has been approved by the Graduate College.
- The form, with all required signatures, should be submitted to the Graduate College immediately following the examination.
(This form now includes the information for the Dissertation Submission Form. Two forms are no longer needed.)
- Your major professor(s) and committee members review the content and format of your final dissertation when you complete your final oral exam.
- Once you pass your final oral exam and make all the changes to your dissertation, the Major Professor(s) and DOGE(s) will sign your Graduate Student Approval Slip. Co-majors and minors will need signatures from all departments involved.
- Verify that all grades for Incompletes and Non-Report grades from previous terms have been submitted to the Office of the Registrar.
- Any conditions placed on the final oral examination must be removed by the major professor and/or committee members, as designated on the Report of Final Oral Examination Form.
- The Graduate Student Approval Form must be submitted to the Graduate College by the deadline of the appropriate term.
- After completing the Thesis Checklist, you will find a link to upload your dissertation at the end of the checklist.
- Upload your dissertation to ProQuest - note deadline for uploading.
- Upon e-mail acceptance by the Graduate College, you will be able to graduate.
Thesis/Dissertation Submission Form
Now combined with the Graduate Approval Slip above. This form is no longer needed.